Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Valentines in October??????

I've been trying to work ahead on all my swaps so I don't end up behind over the Christmas season. I have two projects to show you today. The first is just a peek at the Valentines paint can I'm making for a swap, the first picture is of the lid and the second is the handle.


This lid was first painted with a glitter glaze paint mixed with distress reinker in worn lipstick. While the paint was still wet I sprinkled the top with small punched out hearts. I later decided I wanted more of an acrylic type finish on the top of the can. I used UTEE to achieve these results. I spent a couple nights attempting to heat and sprinkle UTEE and blowing it all over the place until today when I saw a post on the cricut message board about using shrink plastic in the oven. This evening I covered the top of the paint can in a thick layer of UTEE popped it in the oven. I set mine at 400 and left it alone for a few minutes, when I checked on it the UTEE appeared to be boiling OOOPPS I turned the oven off and let it sit in there till cool. and it came out really nice. Next time I'll probably have the oven on a bit lower temp and keep a closer eye on it but it has a great smooth finish.

This second picture is of the handle on my paint can. I used some Moda-Dea Dream yarn that is on sale at Michaels this week. I simply crocheted it on the handle using a basic chain stich, if you've ever done the crochet flipflops it's the same basic idea. I really like the way that plain metal wire is softened now.



My second project for today was my Valentines card cany. I cut a 4 inch square of double sided cardstock (from Sam's Club) I punch all 4 edges with a new Martha Stewart Embossing edge punch and then lightly sanded the embossing to make it pop. I stamped with "with love" saying and the hearts with a glue pad and used a Martha Stewart glitter on them. I'm also including a length of the same yarn that was used on the paint cans in place of ribbon.

1 comment:

Gina Thornton said...

Kelly love the can...looks familiar (wink wink!)

I love your blog! And gotta love Kid Rock!

Talk to you soon!
Gina